Borovsky Yakov (1896–1994) – specialist in Classic philology, translator, poet in New Latin.
In 1906–1915, learnt in the Sixth St. Petersburg (Petrograd) Gymnasium, where he early demonstrated his interest to classic languages and antiquities. In 1915-1917, he studied at the Polytechnic Institute; in 1917, he trasfered to the Petrograd University where he studied till 1922 (with a break when he served in the Red Army in 1918-1920). After graduation he was invited to the Research Institute of Comparative History of Literature and Languages of West and East; in 1924-1927, B. worked there as Researcher. Thanks to his knowledge of foreign languages, in the late 1920-s, he worked at the Department of Foreign Media of the Comintern. Since 1928, he has been lecturer, and since 1933 – at the Chair of Classic Philology of the Leningrad State University.