Grekov Boris (1882–1953) – historian medievalist.
Since 1901, he studied at the Warsaw University. One of his teachers was D. M. Petrushevsky, who made a great influence at G. as historian. Later, on the recommendation of Petrushevsky, G. transferred to the Moscow University. At first, his supervisor was A. A. Kiesewetter, then – M. K. Liubavsky. At the St. Petersburg University he passed Master courses under the supervision of A. S. Lappo-Danilevsky.
In 1914, he got Professor position and defended his Master thesis ‘Novgorodian House of Saint Sophia: An Attempt of Studying Organization and Inner Relations of the Church Votchina’. Beside his studies in the field of social and economical aspects, G. put a special attention to the culture of Slavic peoples, including their beliefs. In 1913, G. became Member of the Imperial Archeographic Commission; there he actively studied monastic life and searches for new sources. For instance, in 1913-1914, he looked through and made a description of the archive of the Big Tikhvin Monastery; and two years later, in 1916-1917, he described and brought to Perm’ the archive of the Solovetsky Monastery.
In the first half of 1930-s G. was Secretary of the Historical and Archeographic Institute of the Ac. of Sc. of the U.S.S.R. in Leningrad. In 1935, he was elected to Academicians; and since March 1936, he headed the Leningrad Branch of the Institute of History of the Ac. of Sc. of the U.S.S.R.. In 1937-1953, he was Director of the Institute of History. Since 1947, he was Member of the Polish and Bulgarian Ac. of Sc., and Ph. D. of the University of Prague.